Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pictures and Klutziness

One of my favorite things about being in pastry school so far (since we haven’t been able to get into the kitchens yet) is that sometimes we get invited to eat the culinary student’s menu projects for lunch. So far I’ve had a home-style menu: tomato basil soup with breaded mozzarella sandwiches, broccoli salad, garlic chicken and almond crescents and an ode to Julia Childs French menu: mushroom filled puff pastry, mini biscuits with garlic soup, celery root salad with mustard, boeuf bourguignon and frangipane crepes with chocolate! A girl could get used to this ☺

I also made a new friend – she’s the opposite of me. Her mother is Catholic and her father is Jewish, so she’s a Catholic girl whose last name is Shapiro. She’s calls herself a “cashew”, which I find hilarious.

So yes, as you may have already heard, I got my chef’s outfit and toolkit today – exciting, yes? Well, as I was opening the items in my toolkit to show Dave, my new chocolate thermometer slipped right out of my hand and broke in half on the ground. Who else would this happen to but me? I already looked it up online, and luckily I can buy a new one fairly cheaply, but I wanted to e-mail my teacher to make sure I wouldn’t need it for Monday, when we first get into the kitchens. Needless to say, she was highly amused and while assuring me that I wouldn’t need it for a while encouraged me to, “not break anything else” before tomorrow. Klutziness, thy name is Brooke.

Anyway, I'll leave you tonight with some pictures of Dave and I both modeling my new chef's outfit:







6 comments:

  1. Cashew!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, that's awesome.

    Love the outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my head CA stands for "Chefs, AHOY!"
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! glad you made a friend, and already broke something. lol


    p.s. I totally think that your life could be a great tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute cute cute!

    love,
    aunt gin

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are way too cute! Sounds like you're having a delicious time already :)

    ReplyDelete